Why was space given to allotments?
The allotments that run alongside the railway were always part of the village plan. Titus supported the cultivation of this land for food and development of gardening skills as this was a positive activity for his workers, with obvious health benefits.
The area gave rise to a very popular Horticultural Society, formed in 1861. Pigs, dogs, poultry and pigeons were also kept on the site. These original allotments are administered by Bradford council.
Further allotments behind the church were created alongside sports facilities during the 1920s. The land is owned by Hartley Properties, and the allotments are run by the Canalside Allotments group.
Current interest in growing food is evident in waiting lists for both sets of allotments and the use of planters in Wash House Garden and in the corners of the Caroline Street car park. Veg on the Edge volunteers play an active part.