This unique collection owned by Shipley College provides insights to the history and development of Saltaire. It is a vital resource for anyone wishing to find out more about the World Heritage Site. In 2015 the College signed an agreement for Saltaire Stories to manage and promote the archive’s educational use.
Volunteers and members of the Saltaire History Club are actively involved in the archive, which is managed under the guidance of the Archivist. Cataloguing has been underway for several years. Saltaire Stories aims to complete the catalogue, make the archive more accessible, and develop learning resources.
Public exhibitions are held as often as possible, for instance during the World Heritage Weekend in April or Saltaire Festival in September. A small range of items is currently displayed in the ‘People and Process’ exhibition at Salts Mill. Smaller displays for other occasions have become possible through Saltaire Stories.
The collection includes:-
Books, paper documents and ephemera:
- Publications about Sir Titus Salt and Salts Mill
- Souvenir guides from the 1870s onwards
- 1960s Salts sample books/catalogues
- Salts Mill works’ publications, posters etc.
- Salts High School posters and photographs
- Projects by university and college students
- Personal Memory files
- Newscuttings about Saltaire/Shipley from the 1980s onwards
Maps and plans covering Saltaire, Shipley and Bradford, dating back before the founding of the village in 1853
Architectural plans/drawings of village buildings
Photographs and illustrations featuring Saltaire buildings, people and community events
Salt Family Collection (Sir Titus Salt built the Mill and Village in 1853), including:
- Family portraits and photographs
- Original drawings by Titus Salt as a boy
- Birth, marriage and death certificates
- Copies of the Wills of Daniel Salt and Titus Salt
Roberts Family Collection (Sir James Roberts took over Salts Mill in 1893), including:
- Family Photographs, maps and plans
- Mortgage documents, birth and marriage certificates
- Ledgers, business letter books, Shipley and Baildon rent book
Objects, such as:
- Bobbins, tools, samples of wool and cloth from Salts Mill
- China, glass and other mementos from the 1887
- Royal Yorkshire Jubilee Exhibition in Saltaire
- Items from Salts High School
Click here for more information: http://www.shipley.ac.uk/studying-in-saltaire/saltaire-archive.